The 50th anniversary was just the other day of the most sensational female star of the 50s and perhaps today, Marilyn Monroe. There are things people hardly know about her. Here are five.
1. At the time Monroe died, she had been reading Leo Rostens’ Captain Newman MD, based on Ralph Greenson, her psychiatrist and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
2. An actress by the name of Veronica Hamel in 1972 bought Marilyn Monroe’s house. Hamel claimed that while renovation was underway, wire-taps well spread across the house were visible.
3. Marilyn had no problem going naked. While in the company of studio employees who were female, such as make-up artists, hairdressers and wardrobe mistresses, she was always naked. Interviews she gave while nude, at times going out without wearing anything below the present from Joe DiMaggio, a black mink.
4. Clark Gable, as she once confessed, was an actor she was fixated to and even co-starred with in the hit film “The Misfits”. She always dreamed as a little girl that Gable was her father and after the superb actor died, Marilyn said she wept for 48 hours.
5. Marilyn’s funeral was more of a riot than a ceremony. After the service, fans in their hundreds made their way into the cemetery and disappeared with all floral tributes sent to her.